Smurfs collectible figurines from McDonald's...

The Smurfs

McDonald's gave us these cool Smurf collectible figurines in conjunction with the  live-action "The Smurfs" movie. You know, the one that stars Neil Patrick Harris aka Doogie Howser. I haven't seen the movie yet but I was mighty tempted to get the Jakks Pacific Smurfs figurines. They were pretty costly so when I heard that McDonald's Malaysia was finally bringing in their Smurfs collectible figurines, I was relieved! These 10 figurines were supposed to be sold according to their weekly schedules but it wasn't to be...

Read more...

The first 3 figurines were sold to the public without any hiccup and most collectors had assumed that McDonald's was gonna stick to their schedule, so there's absolutely no need to push and shove to get these figurines folks! And then, the unthinkable happened. By the time the second batch were sold, they announced that they were already selling figurines from the LAST batch simply because people were clamouring for these collectibles and McDonald's outlets weren't able to cope with the demand. I was lucky as my dear wife went 'hunting' for these figurines at different McDonald's outlets while I was at work. Without her assistance I definitely won't be able to complete the lineup!

Last I heard, Smurfette and Papa Smurf were the hardest to get, presumably of the lower quantity produced (or something). A quick check on eVilbay shows that each of these two can fetch up to RM30 (or approx USD10) already! Daylight robbery!!!


McDonald's Smurfs collectibles_Sept '11

Scalper ahoy! Here is a quick snapshot I took a couple of days ago of a suspected scalper at the McDonald's outlet near my place. For the record, he took ALL of the remaining stock left at the outlet. The picture below does not do him justice at all. He eventually left the outlet with one bulging plastic bag with his loot...and a smirk on his face! So guys, let's do ourselves a favour and NOT buy any of the overpriced Smurfs collectible on eVilbay....

Smurf-scalper!

Comments

Phil said…
I always hate to see that but it happens every time there are valuable giveaways at fast food restaurants. And you're right, the only way to quell it is to stop paying exorbitant sums for them online.
The Rebel said…
Agree with ya Phil...death to scal-pors!