A visit to a mini geek con…

Stumbled across a banner that promoted a ‘charity fundraising’ event in the guise of a ‘geek con’ recently. I was immediately intrigued and decided to do some fact-finding about the organizers because I sure heck haven’t heard of them before in my geek life here in Malaysia. What the heck is ‘A.C.T.’ anyway? A quick consultation with Dr Google revealed that it stood for ‘Awareness & Care Together’. Suddenly an epiphany hit me as I began to have imageries of cool random rare el cheapo stuff being sold by unsuspecting people. Right, maybe it’s worth to check the event out.

As usual the family and I would hit our favorite Sunday flea market haunt first before we decided to go anywhere else. Managed to get some flea market finds (more on that later) and then we collectively decided to pay that ‘ACT’ event a visit.

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

The ACT geek con (wasn’t even called that in their banners but I’d like to call it so for easy reference….charity event sounds so bland to my ears) was held in a new shopping mall in town. We parked our car and literally ran up to the venue anticipating lots and lots of cosplayers and such running about with their costumers and such. But really, the con was really more towards hosting an anime/manga singing contest so the booths were playing more of accompanying roles rather than the main attraction.

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

A male fan in a female anime suit with skirts (for the love of God I don’t even know any of the characters) was crying his/her heart out to belt a supposedly fan favorite anime song judging from the thunderous applause. Notwithstanding the very noisy atmosphere we decided to troll along the booths hoping to find some decent stuff at reasonable prices.

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

The booth participants were a mix of action figure sellers, a comic book seller, a couple of Star Wars cosplaying clubs and a slew of sellers selling Gundams and other anime-related stuff. You probably can guess on where I’d spent most of my time here.....

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

Yup, the comic booth. I kinda know the booth owner as he previously set his booth at another flea market before. The dude reiterated that he could recognized me a mile away as he can instantly recall me rummaging through his stash of comics back then.

Hey, some Star Wars cosplayers! Cool.

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

Plus some.....err....Power Rangers...

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

I kinda like the upgraded LEGO Ghostbusters Firehouse HQ.

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

I find more Marvel Universe figures than my preferred 6" scale Marvel Legends on sale. There's this one particular booth manned by a very enthusiastic collector/seller who pretty much resembled the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. I regretted not taking his picture.

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

Can’t say that I was really stoked with this event as I didn’t really find anything that sparked any real interest in me. I’m sure that some people might find this event much better than I did. The organizers did a good try though to mask the very anime/manga-heavy event by inviting people from other walks of geek faiths to open up their booths.

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16

A.C.T. Charity Geek Con - 26 June '16


The damage:

Small weekend haul....

Alright. Confession. I only got that Gotham Central issue #13 from the comic seller dude and the rest was snagged from our usual Sundayflea market. But you get the drift. These are the kind of Sundays that mark a very good ending nonetheless to the week. Finding cool stuff at dirt cheap prices. Heh.


What do I think of the event?

Good effort A.C.T.   but I'd probably give you 2 and half stars (out of 5) for the event. I think it can be better the next time around.




Comments